Wednesday 28 September 2011

Helter skelter vase


This felt wrapped vase reminds me of the helter-skelter rides I used to go on at the fair when I was a little girl. I can still feel the excitement of climbing up the dark interior and the prickly coconut mat they gave you at the top before you whooshed down the smooth metal slide.

I felted a thin layer of lilac wool directly onto the bottle, until it just started to hold together, then, still wet,  I wrapped a strip of Sellotape in a spiral around it all.  Over this I layered some white Icelandic wool, and felted it using my hands and bubble wrap.
When it has sufficiently shrunk around the bottle, I could feel where the sellotape resist was, and snipped along it with sharp scissors, and pulled it out. I pushed back the cut edged as it dried to reveal the lilac under felt.
It looked a bit plain, so I decorated with toning beads.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, such a sweet Christmas tree. Loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine some Christmas flowers sitting in that. Just lovely. I did a similar thing with a long-necked bottle and it was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete